1940 Grist Mill Recognized for its Contribution to the History of Jefferson County
Contact: Martin Burke, Chair, Jefferson County Historic Landmarks Commission, p: (304) 876-3883 / e:HLCinfo@jeffersoncountywv.org; Lauren Kelly, Preserve WV AmeriCorps, p: (304) 728-3228 / e:firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles Town, WV – As of January 23, 2017, Jefferson County can add one more site to its list of National Register landmarks: Feagans’ Mill. The mill, located on Wheatland Road in Charles Town, was built by Cecil Feagans in 1940 on an older foundation, the third mill built on that site since the late 1700s (the first two mills were destroyed by fire). It operated as a grist mill with a creamery attached and retains much of its original equipment, including its two buhr wheels, sifters, bagger, and a Fitz iron water wheel, which dates from 1919. It is complete enough to be restored to full operation.
There were at least seven mills (grist, saw, and woolen) powered by the Bullskin Run at one time, but Feagans’ Mill is the only survivor and one of only four extant historic mills in Jefferson County. Local mills were important in this grain-producing region as the price of shipping processed grain was much less for local farmers than shipping whole grains. The first mill on this site was built by the Haines family, Quaker pioneers who came to the area in the 1750s. They sold the mill to the Feagans family in 1885 after the first devastating fire. Together these two families helped sustain agriculture and commerce in Jefferson County for two centuries.