The Jefferson County Historic Landmarks Commission (JCHLC) is a branch of the Jefferson County Government and operates under authority granted to landmarks commissions by the West Virginia Legislature. The Landmarks Commission focuses on heritage education and tourism, historic preservation, and historic resource development. JCHLC’s primary mission is to preserve historic sites, structures, and rural landscapes within the unincorporated areas of Jefferson County and to educate the public about the County’s heritage.
Jefferson County was established on October 26, 1801 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly. It was named after Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States. Located in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, Jefferson is the easternmost county in the state, being bounded by the Potomac River and Maryland on the north, the Blue Ridge Mountains and Loudoun County, Virginia, on the east, Clarke County, Virginia, on the south, and Opequon Creek and Berkeley County, West Virginia, on the West. The county occupies 212.41 square miles, being 24 miles from north to south and 12 miles from east to west.